Registration now open
We are delighted to announce that the BSTAI National Conference 2017 will take place on Saturday 21st October 2017 in the Lyrath Convention Centre, Lyrath Estate Hotel, Kilkenny. The theme of the conference this year is “Enabling Progress in the Business Classroom”.
Registration is now open on Eventbrite. Click here to purchase your ticket. Closing date for registration is Monday 9th October, however ticket numbers are limited and the Conference was fully booked last year, so please book early. Tickets for the conference only are €25, while tickets for the Friday night pre-conference dinner and conference entry are €45.
Friday 20th October
Pre-conference dinner, Lyrath Estate Hotel, 7.30pm sharp. If you wish to attend, please purchase the pre-conference dinner and conference ticket.
Saturday 21st October
08.30 – 09.00: Registration. Please note that registration will close at 9am
08.30 – 09.10: Tea/coffee, networking and opportunity to view sponsors’ stands
09.15 – 10.30: Welcome and opening remarks from Honorary National President, Ultan Henry, followed by presentation from Sinead Tuohy, Junior Cycle for Teachers (JCT) on the Classroom Based Assessment in Junior Cycle Business Studies
10.30 – 11.00: Tea/coffee, networking and opportunity to view sponsors’ stands
11.00 – 12.00: Workshops, Session 1 (see below)
12.00 – 13.00: Workshops, Session 2 (see below)
13.00 – 14.00: Lunch, networking and opportunity to view sponsors’ stands
14.00 – 15.00: Workshops, Session 3 (see below)
15.00 – 15.45: PDST & UCD: Implementing Curriculum Change through Teacher Collaboration in the iGeneration, Rachel Farrell, UCD, Siobhan O’Sullivan & Cian Sweeney, PDST
15.45 – 16.00: Conference evaluation, raffle and closing remarks
Supporting the SEN student in the Business Classroom, Paula Joyce
Supporting Active Learning using Digital Technologies in the Business Classroom, Siobhan O’Sullivan, Professional Development Service for Teachers (PDST)
Leaving Certificate Accounting: The similarities in methodologies in teaching Club Accounts, Service Firm Accounts and Farm Accounts, Alan Ryan
Leaving Certificate Business: Units 5, 6 & 7 for Leaving Certificate 2018 Applied Business Question, Padraig Doherty
Leaving Certificate Economics: The Past and The Future, Pat Younger, Chief Advising Examiner, State Examinations Commission
Leaving Certificate Economics: Passion or Pantomime? Methodologies for Leaving Certificate Economics Teachers, Mairead O’Sullivan
Junior Cycle Business Studies: Making learning relevant in the Junior Cycle Business Studies classroom, Junior Cycle for Teachers (JCT)
Parking is free for all attendees. Please follow signs for the Lyrath Convention Centre (rather than Lyrath Estate Hotel).
If you would like to stay overnight in the Lyrath Estate Hotel, BSTAI has negotiated a preferential rate of €140 for B&B (single room) and €180 for B&B (double/twin room). Please note that there is limited availability for this rate, so please book early by calling 056 7760088 and quoting “BSTAI” when booking.
Alternatively, if you would like to stay in Kilkenny, you can view other accommodation options here. Please be advised that as Kilkenny City is a popular tourist destination you should book accommodation early.
Driving Directions to Lyrath Convention Centre
- Follow the signs for the M50 motorway.
- Leave the Motorway at Junction 9 which brings you onto the Red Cow roundabout.
- Take the N7 South (Naas Dual carriage way), driving in the direction of Waterford, Limerick. This will automatically turn to the M7.
- Leave the M7 at Junction 11 and take the M9 Waterford/ Kilkenny.
- Continue along the M9 – and exit off the Motorway at Junction 8 (Signposted: Kilkenny N10.)
- At the roundabout take the 1st exit onto the N10.
- At the next roundabout take the 1st exit onto the N77. (Signposted: Clonmel, City Centre)
- At the Dublin Road roundabout take the 1st exit onto the R712 (Signposted: Gowran, Paulstown)
- You will come to a small roundabout at Cillin Hill, take the second exit.
- Lyrath Estate is located approximately 700m from here on your left hand side
Estimated Time: 1.5 hours
- Follow the N8 to Mitchelstown.
- From Mitchelstown take the M8 Motorway.
- Exit at Urlingford and continue along the R693 towards Freshford.
- From Freshford continue in the direction of Kilkenny.
- Continue past St. Luke’s Hospital and at the roundabout take the 1st exit.
- At the next roundabout take the first exit and over Greens bridge.
- You will reach another roundabout take the 2nd exit.
- At the next roundabout take the 1st exit.
- The next roundabout take the third exit.
- Straight through the next roundabout.
- At the Dublin Road Roundabout take the 1st exit for Gowran/ Paulstown (R712).
- Continue out along this road go straight through the roundabout at Cillin Hill.